Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Work on Vacation Not to Vacation

By Alysha Gomes, Toppel Peer Advisor



The time comes again when many other UM students and I are forced to pick classes to fulfill credits toward our majors. Around this time, I am reminded how stressful it is to pick a career path that I will be inevitably following for the rest of my life. Torn between what my parents wants, what society deems as respectable, what I believe will pay enough to support the life I hope to have, and what I enjoy, the decision is more complicated then most make it out to be. However, the best advice I have been given it to find a happy medium.





There are so many quizzes, questionnaires, and surveys that claim to tell you the best job fit, but the decision is ultimately left up to you. When picking a job there are three major factors (at least for me):

1. What am I good at?


People who stick to this and run often end up in jobs where they only go through the motions. Everyday, they get up, go to work, perform, and go home to the life that their work has made possible, but instead of ruling their own life, they fall victim to routine and hardly ever experience excitement.

2. What makes money?


This is the big debate question. Does my job fit my personality or do I do this because it makes me a ton of money which I can spend after I get off work? People who decide their job based on this question work to pay for the weekends in which they enjoy their life. It is lifestyle they let rule their life. 


3. What do I love doing?



This is the thing that everyone insists should be the deciding factor. We forever hear in our heads, “Do what you what to do, not what people think you should do!” However, this is not the only thing to consider. If you only think about what you love then you forget to consider what you want your life to be like. Yes, many people who give up everything and just roll with their talent do end up on the top of society’s ladder, look at Einstein, but that involves luck and, if you're like me, luck isn’t always on your side.





When picking a career, you should consider not one, but all three of these questions. What are you good at doing that makes enough money to support the life you want that you would love waking up to do? That question will lead you to live a very healthy life in which you do not have to wait till your next vacation to enjoy yourself.



It is estimated that 70% of employees are dissatisfied or disengaged in their careers. So please take some time to reflect on who you actually are. Forget what your parents want, what the top 10 most paying jobs are, and what your rich movie star idol does, and ask yourself what do you want. You don’t have to decide now, but remember that if you don’t pursue your own desires, then your just adding to the 70% who wish they did things different.



Goal : Best put by Dr. Seuss


No comments: