Thursday, November 1, 2012

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (or not): Schedule Advising!

Written by: Bree Blair

It's that time of year again- class schedule advising! Some people, surprisingly, actually enjoy this time of the year because it means that the semester is starting to come to a close. For others, class schedule advising is just another nuisance on top of the million other things we have to do.  Sorry, that was a bit personal. Anyway, don't fear this time of the year! Your advisers are here to help, especially if you're like me and don't have a clue as to what classes you should be taking anyway. If you do have a general idea of what classes you should be taking, that's perfect! The hardest part is just choosing.


The best way to make class schedule advising a some what enjoyable experience is to look at classes that actually interest you. I know, the words "classes" and "interest" shouldn't be in the same sentence, but it happens! Not only will finding fun or interesting classes make the searching process easier, but it will make your next semester much more enjoyable as well. Learning about subjects that we truly want to learn about is what makes school a whole lot better. You'd be surprised how many interesting classes there are that fulfill requirements, and what's better than that? (You don't have to answer that.) Just don't get too excited when you end up without any free time!



For example, when my adviser first asked me if I wanted to have Tuesdays and Thursdays off, I couldn't resist. I caught myself daydreaming about days at the beach, maybe a little shopping, sleeping in, but then I remembered that getting a job would be a good idea too (hence this blog). Only having to go to campus 3 days a week for classes is great, but having 5 classes all in a row is not. Now I know that next semester, I'm definitely going to have to rethink my strategy.


The most important part about planning your class schedule is remembering to keep yourself balanced. Personally, I think it's better to have just 2 or 3 classes each day rather then cramming them all in at once. Plus, that leaves room for a little extra napping time. Having a little something to do everyday, in my opinion, makes time go by faster, and I like the sound of that. Just try to remember that class schedule advising can be as exciting or as dull as you want it to be, so choose classes and a schedule that works for you!

No comments: